Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What I love: comfort

Mornings soggy and gray. Hot chocolate on the stove. Sweet crackers for dipping. Does it get any better than this?



And now for the recipe:

(Well, we'll get to the recipe, but first a warning. I don't quite do recipes. Recipes are for people who can be bothered by such trivialities as measuring, which seems like something a Type-A-er such as myself would do, but alas. This is one of my many contradictions.)

(Warning continued: I do sometimes measure things I think may be important, such as amounts of flour, but I never--and I do mean never--slide the knife across the top to get a level cup. So for all of you purists who are gasping at that, I suggest you stop reading here. It only gets worse.)

(More warning: so the joke at my house is if you like a particular dish, too bad. It will never taste this way again. I'm like the chef on television who pours oil directly from the bottle, commenting, "That's about two tablespoons," or the DIY guy on a show I once saw who said, "There's a saying, 'Measure twice, cut once.' I have a different saying. 'Close enough.'" This is me.)

Okay, so the recipe:

Milk
unsweetened baking chocolate, finely chopped
sugar
cinnamon sticks
whipped cream
miniature chocolate chips or sprinkles

Pour a bunch of milk into a heavy pan. The amount of milk, seriously, depends on how much you hot chocolate you want to make. I'd figure 1.5 cups per person, or 2.5 if you like to use those giant soup mugs. Whole milk tastes better, but skinny milk can work.

Heat the milk till frothy but not boiling. This probably translates to "Stir constantly over medium heat till frothy."

Add chocolate and sugar. I don't know how much of a chocoholic you are, but my mantra is: "The more the better." Stir till completely dissolved. If you, like me, rarely buy baking chocolate, use whatever kind you've got on hand. For us this generally means choc chips. (If you're using reg chocolate, don't add the sugar.)

Serve w/cinnamon sticks for stirring, plus a good dollop of whipped cream and some sprinkles.

I know, this recipe is largely useless, but it's how I do it. You're welcome.

1 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

I love it and I predict the smell of chocolate wafting through my dorm very soon!

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home