Monday, October 16, 2006

The report

To all of you who have asked, my family in the islands are fine. My grandfather (in his early nineties) and aunt (whose age will remain undisclosed LOL) from Kauai were actually at my parents' place over the weekend, taking care of doctor visits and such. So they got to pass the time 'round the dining table playing cards till the power was restored.

Oahu is quite far from the Big Island, the quake's epicenter, so my parents experienced no structural damage. Just a good shaking.

And a rumbling reminder of how, in a single instant, everything can change. My mom is nodding at this, I'm sure. A reminder of how easily all that you've poured your life's effort into building can quite literally come crashing down around you. A reminder to invest ourselves in things of eternal value.

To all of you who have asked, thank you for your kindness.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought this would be a good time to encourage them to move closer to their grandkids :-)

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home