Sunday, September 24, 2006

When I grow up

I'm a small group leader of a bunch of teenage girls, and I tell you what: they can make me crazy, but I love them with a fierceness too wide to wrap words around.

A few weeks back, one of our discussion topics went something like, "Describe your dream job." And they all took turns interrupting each other with grandiose future plans.

I didn't share mine, of course, because they think I'm all grown up and should be able to mark this topic "NA," but here's what I was thinking.

My dream is to go to med school, practice pediatrics for a few years to pay off the school bills, then set up pro-bono medical care clinics in the most desperate reaches of the earth--East Timor, maybe, or Somalia. And forty years down the line I'd retire to a cabin ensconced in curls of woodsmoke, and write it all down.

So there you go. Nothing terribly romantic, no wild success or lofty prestige, but I think this dream fits me quite nicely.

Someday.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a bad dream. May I suggest Bali rather than East Timor- scratch that- the Mentawais Islands instead. If this suits, then I'll go to med school as well and we can engage in (fierce competition) a cooperative practice there.

1:15 AM  
Blogger nic said...

LOL Nate, I just might take you up on that.

9:26 AM  
Blogger kris said...

what a coincidence my dream is to visit you in those places and to get free medical care!
seriously-I can see you doing this and can't wait to see how God puts your passions into practice.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Denny said...

It is a great dream with wonderful ideas to help others. Don't give up on the dream unless God seems to move you in another direction. I could definitely see you doing what you have described.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home